Thursday, May 5, 2011

Pregnancy Part 1

On September 16th 2009 - Tad and I found out that we were expecting.  I was excited, but very freaked out!  Tad took the news much more calmly :)  We spent the next few days trying to pick a doctor and hospital.  We were planning to see our parents 3 weekends in a row coming up, so the plan was to tell each of them in person.  We found out on a Wednesday, and I felt fine through the weekend. 


On Monday morning, I started feeling what is probably normal morning sickness.  I felt sick all morning, then could eat pretty well from about noon to 5 and then felt sick all evening. During this week we picked a doctor, and set an apointment. On Friday the 25th, I threw up for the first time and the 26th was the last day I was able to keep food down.  I worked for a few hours Monday, but went home pretty early.  Monday I called my doctor and told the nurse how sick I was, she put in a presciption for me and thought it would make me feel a lot better.  That was my first experience with a suppository - not a big fan, and it didn't help me.  Tuesday was more of the same, another prescription, a stronger suppository, and again no results.  Wednesday I was given a new prescription for Zofran, they told me this was a lot stronger, so I had dissolving tablets, and again, didn't feel a change.  At this time we were starting to get worried, so we decided to call our parents and let them know what was going on.  We also decided to not go on a trip that weekend that we had planned.  We were to fly to Albuquerque to see Tad's family.  In the wee hours of Thursday morning, Tad called the emergency number for our doctor and she called him back.  She told him to take me to the hospital.  We waited until morning to go, I didn't want to be hospitalized, so I was hoping to just be able to have a regular appointment.  In the morning though, nothing had changed, so we went to the hospital to get an IV because I was very dehydrated. 
  In the hospital they got my IV started on the second try - they placed it in my left hand in a vein on my wrist, it hurt the entire time it was in - they even gave me an ice pack.  When I turn my wrist now I can still sometimes feel where it was placed. 


While there I was on the labor and delivery floor, they gave me a lot of Zofran through the IV and alternated it with Reglan. 
I got this pink bucket that day, and it hardly left my armspan the entire rest of my pregnancy.

I was only in the hospital for a little over 24 hours.  My doctor who I still had not met was not on call, so we saw another one from her practice.  He was a total pompus jerk, and I was very unimpressed.  He gave me a piece of paper with what I had been diagnosed with, never even bothered to tell me more about it or the name or anything.  He just told me that getting sick was going to have to be something I got used to.  While there I felt very uncomfortable and wanted to go home so badly.  Tad slept on a little cot in the room with me.  Before I was released they gave me grape juice, a popsicle and jello.  They thought the IV fluid would help regulate me and I'd be able to keep things down.   When Tad was driving me home, we had just gotten to our exit when all of the things they'd given me came right back into the pink bucket and so it began the cycle again...

No comments:

Post a Comment