Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hyperemesis Gravidarum

So when I was in the hospital the first time I was given information about hyperemesis gravidarum (HG)  but didn't know a whole lot about it.  Since then I have found an incredible website http://www.hyperemesis.org/ and read as many books as I could get my hands on to try to understand more.  Please feel free to read more on the above website, it has the best information I've found, and is really great.  While in the hospital the doctor told me that throwing up was going to have to be something I got used to and lived with, so Monday morning, I again tried to go to work - pink bucket in tow.  I was again not keeping anything down, and didn't last the entire day.  Later in the week - probably on Friday - I went and saw my doctor for the first time.  We chose her by going with a Christian clinic here in town, and I wanted a female doctor, and she was the only one there, so we felt lucky that she was what we were hoping for.  She was concerned about my lack of improvement, and decided to hospitalize me again so that I could get rehydrated.  They had also recently started working with an in home nursing company, so she wanted me put into their program.  While with them I had to check my urine daily to see if I was in ketosis, and my weight and call it into a nurse.  They also were able to come out to our house so that I didn't have to be put in the hospital any time I needed an IV.  Most importantly though what they could offer was a pump for my medication.  While in the hospital this time, they again put an IV in.  They got it on the 3rd try - I got a lot of medicine through there and was someone regulated again. Then a nurse came to install my pump and teach Tad and I how to use it.  The good thing about it was I could no longer throw up my medicine, it went directly into my blood stream, and I got it around the clock.  The bad thing was that it had to be put in my thigh.  I was really not thrilled with this information, but was told over and over that it was a small needle that went just under the skin.  I will agree that in general it was a small needle, what they didn't tell me though is that it just went straight down into my leg, and I had to have it changed from one leg to the other every 3 days.  My parents came when I was in the hosptial this time, which I really appreciated.  I was in for 2 nights.  Tad learned how go change my 'site' from leg to leg and we both learned the ins and outs of the pump. 


my mom and I waiting for the nurse to show up
 After getting the pump I thought it was going to be my miracle, I really started to feel better and was able to work for about a week and 1/2. 


in the hospital after getting my pump installed
 


these next pictures are from home, when I was feeling pretty good, this is as I had my site changed on my left leg is the old site that is getting taken out, and in my right leg is the new one, so it has the cover on it with the medication going in.



my legs did not react well at all to the pump being in them, they got all red and irritated, and I didn't think they'd never look normal again - thankfully though, there is only one spot where you can see the markings




feeling pretty good - trying to get my old one out
 


after it was out, my painful leg with the medicine coming back out of the hole it made.
 

the is the part that stayed in my leg - when it went in there was a needle with the little tube, but after it is in your leg and secure, then the part with the needle comes out.  It was quite painful, but at least it made me feel better.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment